Monday 16 June 2008

TO SLEEP, PERCHANCE TO DREAM

'To take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep-
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,'

(Hamlet, Act Three, Scene One)

Is that not just beautiful?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really is!

Maybe I'll do this for my audition. I love that extract.

KatEvans11120 said...

But if you only do that tiny segment it doesn't make as much sense. Use the entire thing my dear. It's all very lovely. :)

Blue said...

It's lovely for a suicidal contemplation :P

No really, I love this play. In fact I like all the plays we've ever done :) :)